- Name Wad- en Wierdenpad (LAW5-5)
- Length of trail 123 km, 76 miles
- Length in days 6 days
- Start of trail Lauwersoog
- End of trail Nieuweschans
- Traildino grading LW, Light walk, countryside walk
LAW5-5, Wad- en Wierdenpad: Lauwersoog - Nieuweschans, 123 km
The northern part of the Netherlands is a product of the sea. Let's explain the name of this trail, Wad- en Wierdenpad. The "wad" is the marsh area between the Frisian Islands in the North and the mainland. The transition from water to land today is clearly defined by a huge, tight dyke. The path regularly runs on this dyke, and from it we conveniently look down on modern farmlands, a bit as if we were walking on a mountain ridge. Sharp as it is today, historically, this transition from sea to land was far from clear and in constant motion. At times the sea was calm and the people conquered land from the sea. But ever so often, the sea would turn wild, and take back what people had made.
A "wierde", or mound, is an artificial elevation in the country, where former residents built their homes, churches and monasteries, protected from rising seas. These mounds are still there, and our path leads us across.
In the little villages on our way, time has truly stood still. Not that we relive the Middle Ages, but on every street corner there's the déjà vu from our own childhood, when life was simple. Moreover, everyone will greet you with a goodmorning or a goodday!
The Wad- en Wierdenpad is the last stretch of the Dutch part of the North Sea Trail. At the border in Nieuweschans, the Germans take over on the E9, the Ems-Dollart Trail. But it is also possible to head south, and continue on the LAW10, the Noaberpad. (HN)
- Dirk Bergvelt
- Rate 7
- Positive Nice & quiet, but enough people around to have excellent restaurants.
- Joke ter Weele September 2009
- Rate 7
- Positive Nice walking along the northern coast, open landscapes and views
- Henk Nouws September 2009
- Rate 8
- Positive Hiking on the dykes, the old villages with very small houses. Very quiet everywhere.
- Negative Roads.
- Purbeck & South Dorset - Poole, Dorchester - Weymouth & Swanage OS Explorer Map OL15 (paper)
- Purbeck and the southern part of Dorset on a detailed topographic and GPS compatible map OL15, paper version, from the Ordnance Survey’s 1:25,000 Explorer series. Coverage extends from Poole and Swanage in the east to Bridport in the west, and includes Dorchester, Tolpuddle, Bere Regis, Wareham, Weymouth, Chesil Beach, Portland Bill, the final... Read more
- Also available from:
- The Book Depository, United Kingdom
- De Zwerver, Netherlands
- Wandelkaart - Topografische kaart OL15 Explorer Purbeck and South Dorset | Ordnance Survey
- Een van de beste detailkaarten die er op de wereld gemaakt worden: zeer gedetailleerd, prachtig helder kleurgebruik, veel topografische aspecten en - zeer belangrijk - allerlei toeristische en recreatieve aspecten zijn ingetekend. De perfecte kaart voor vakantie en vrije tijd: wandelen, fietsen of gewoon de omgeving verkennen. Door de grootte... Read more
- Purbeck & South Dorset - Poole, Dorchester - Weymouth & Swanage OS Explorer Active Map OL15 (waterproof)
- Purbeck and the southern part of Dorset on a detailed topographic and GPS compatible map OL15, waterproof version, from the Ordnance Survey’s 1:25,000 Explorer series. Coverage extends from Poole and Swanage in the east to Bridport in the west, and includes Dorchester, Tolpuddle, Bere Regis, Wareham, Weymouth, Chesil Beach, Portland Bill, the... Read more
- Wandelgids Ostseeküsten – Wanderweg E9 | Grunes Herz
- Auf dem Europäischen Fernwanderweg E9 von Travemünde bis Ahlbeck. Routenbeschreibung, Sehenswürdigkeiten, Wissenswertes über Land und Leute. 13 Wanderrouten auf dem E9 von ca. 400 km, 2 Rundtouren ins küstennahe Binnenland, 14 Kurzbeschreibungen für Radtouren mit Tipps für Radler. Read more
- an x 2016-07-19 20:01:43
accommodation Section Delfzijl - Nieuweschans, 39km
I am planning to do the Delfzijl - Nieuweschans section. I would like to know if there is any site with info about accommodation along the path? I'm a bit concerned if I should make some reservation, considering that is high season.
Thank you in advance ;)
- Traildino 2016-07-20 12:12:19
- The trail had been renamed to "Nederlands Kustpad Deel 3". More information on www.wandelnet.nl. However, there is no Accommodation list. I know from experience that between Delfzijl and Nieuweschans there is almost no Accommodation and no public transport. You can contact some b&b's in the nearby villages and ask them to pick you up. This is how I managed to find a place. The b&b's can easily be found using Google Maps and type in 'bed and breakfast' while zooming in on the region where you're going to walk.