- Name GR128 - Vlaanderenroute (GR128)
- Length of trail 660 km, 410 miles
- Length in days 33 days
- Start of trail Wissand (F)
- End of trail Aachen (D)
- Traildino grading EW, Easy walk, nature trail
Witzand (Wissant, France) - Aachen (Germany), Vlaanderenroute, 660 km
Flanders is a historically old and rich region, marking the border of the Roman languages in Europe. We know that this border divides Belgium. Less well known is the fact that Flanders extends even into France. Quit a large region here is speaking Flemish, even up till today.
The GR128 explores the southern border of Flanders. The trail starts on the Channel, the French village of Wissant, actually Witzand. A days walk later one enters Belgium. The path often follows roads and ventures into urban areas, so maybe not always too interesting. In this part of Belgium many war cemeteries and monuments remember of the horros of the first world war, where Belgium was pulverized by the great powers. Days later you walk in the central parts of Belgium, North of Brussels. The countryside is more attractive now. The trail all the way continues to Belgium's eastern border, even reaching the city of Aachen.
- Erik Lambrechts August 2017
- Rate 8
- Positive Best of Flanders
- www.caersbart.be September 2016
- Rate 8
- Positive Best of Flanders!
- www.caersbart.be 2020-12-24 09:12:31
GR 128 Vlaanderenroute
- Ik wandelde de hele route op Belgisch grondgebied, met een korte passage in Duitsland en Nederland, van oost naar west. Al mijn verslagen zijn gebundeld op een overzichtspagina met extra informatie en praktische tips.
- Martin Boeree 2013-05-21 21:56:41
- Does anybody have an old copy of the guide GR 128 OOST. We need a copy, we want to walk it from east to west and we need the maps in the book. In the Belgium maps GR routes are not depicted